Introducing the Global Shapers Community
The World Economic Forum has successfully established a history of engaging young leaders to positively and proactively impact the global agenda. In addition to its existing community of Young Global Leaders, who are in their mid to late 30s, the Forum is establishing a special community of young people in their 20s. This new community – the Global Shapers Community – will provide youth with a global platform to shape the future – integrating the personal, community and global dimension.
Founding Curator for the Japan hub of the Global Shapers Community (GSC) is William H. Saito, a Young Global Leader and Global Agenda Council member of World Economic Forum as well as the director and co-founder of IMPACT Japan.
Mission and Objectives
To build a global community of the most outstanding young people committed to improving the state of the world. With its motto: Shape Your Future – integrating the personal, the community and the global dimension — the Global Shapers Community enables youth to be a voice for the future in local, regional and global thought processes and a catalyst of entrepreneurship in the global public interest.
To achieve its mission, the Global Shapers Community is built on a network of local hubs located in each major city/region in the world.
Becoming a member of the Global Shapers Community provides individuals with the opportunity to:
- Belong to a global network of outstanding young leaders who closely collaborate to shape a better future, engaging with the broader Forum community and its members and constituents – catalysed through face-to-face and virtual dimensions
- Further develop leadership skills and capabilities through custom programmes, workshops, informal gatherings, mentorship opportunities, etc. curated by local hub
- Gain in-depth exposure to thought-leadership and knowledge of global, regional and industry issues
- Actively initiate and contribute to local, regional and global initiatives towards improving the state of the world
- Engage in opportunities that enhance an entrepreneurial spirit as a means to create economic development and social progress
Furthermore, a select a number of Shapers have the opportunity to attend World Economic Forum Annual Meetings and Regional Summits.
Global Meetings: Annual Meeting in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland; Annual Meeting of the New Champions, China; Annual Summit on the Global Agenda, United Arab Emirates Regional Summits/Meetings: Africa, East Asia, Europe and Central Asia, India, Latin America, Middle East and North Africa, North America.
The World Economic Forum is an independent international organization committed to improving the state of the world by engaging business, political, academic and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
Incorporated as a not-for-profit foundation in 1971, and headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, the Forum is tied to no political, partisan or national interests. (www.weforum.org)
- In between 20 and 30 years of age
- Resident of Japan